I came across an article about a puppy that died due to nicotine poisoning. As I was reading the article, so many thoughts were going through my head.
It also brought back memories of my mini-dachshund which I loved so much. Bozo died in 2008, long before I was vaping. Still, it made me wonder if he were still here, would my vaping affect his health in a bad way?
My heart goes out to the owner, I was very emotional when my dog died and I can only imagine the pain he feels. However, I still feel that this could have been prevented if the owner were a bit more responsible. Here is a condensed version of the story:
A 12-week old Staffordshire bull terrier named Ivy ingested an electronic cigarette “capsule” after an it fell out of the owner’s pocket.
The owner, whose name is Keith Sutton said, “She had chewed it and pierced the plastic container. She had only ingested the tiniest amount but by the time I picked her up she was frothing at the mouth.”
Now, Sutton wants to warn pet owners of how dangerous e-cigarettes are. “A warning really needs to go out that they are lethal. If this is what a small amount does to a dog, then what would it do to a child?”
Now slow down there Mr. Sutton. Once again my condolences to you on your loss, but don’t throw all the blame on e-cigarettes. I mean, if someone was keeping their eye on little Ivy like they were supposed to then this would not have happened either.
It clearly states on e-juice labels to KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND PETS, something Mr. Sutton failed to do. Sadly, this is another story the media will use against vaping.
So to answer the question “Can I vape around my pets?” The answer is, yes!
Unlike e-juice, vapor DOES NOT harm children or animals in anyway. However, it only takes small amount of nicotine juice to kill a pet.
No, I am not a veterinarian, but here’s the article by the vet that I based this fact from.
There are two things pet owners and parents SHOULD do to prevent their loved ones from suffering from nicotine poisoning:
1. Keep your e-juice away from your pets and children! Keep them stored away in high places where only adults can reach them, or locked away.
2. Keep your electronic cigarette/vape away from them too! If Mr. Sutton had noticed his vape falling out of his pocket, then Ivy wouldn’t have gotten to it. If you vape and have children or pets, please invest in some special type of case to put your vape in. Don’t just leave it in your pocket.
To end this post, here’s an Instagram video of a dog who enjoys vaping very much!