Reddit Vape Survey Results: 84% Of Vapers Are Former Smokers


A recent survey done on Reddit has revealed a number of interesting things about how we vape. 4,677 participants from around the world were involved in the survey, majority of them coming from the U.S. (3,744 participants)

Most vapers are former smokers (84%) while the remaining 16% picked up vaping without ever smoking a cigarette before.

It was also gathered that 72% of these former smokers have never smoked a cigarette again since they started vaping. This says a lot about the efficiency of vaping when it comes to taking people off tobacco cigarettes.

Vape Setups and Habits

When it comes to setups, vapers prefer regulated mods (56%), followed by mechanical mods (34%), protected mods (6%) and mech mods with kick (4%).

On average, vapers vape at 1mg – 6mg of nicotine in their juice, while consuming 3ml-5ml of juice a day.

51% of the participants prefer lung inhales, 46% do mouth-to-lung hits, while 3% do mouth hits only.

Evolution of Vaping

The survey shows that more and more people are getting into vaping at a much deeper level, 62% of the people that were surveyed build their own coils, 32% buy pre-built coils and 6% use cartomizers.

Vapers Are Law Abiding Citizens

When asked about vaping in public, 91% said they would conform to smoking laws and rules, 6% would ask permission to do so first, while 3% would do it anyway. Every community has it’s bad apples, but the majority of us respect others when it comes to our hobby.

Now that I think about it, I have yet to see someone vaping away inside of a restaurant with adults and children. I’m sure it has happened, but not like what these other articles are trying to make us think.

What We Can Take From This Survey

We need more surveys like this to give us a better understanding of where we are and where we are headed. Data from these surveys provide a goldmine of information for us. Business owners can concentrate on addressing consumers needs by knowing what vapers want and prefer.

What I would have liked to see was more participation from people from other parts of the globe. With the number of American participants in this survey, this survey speaks more of the vaping trend in America. Perhaps with the next Reddit survey we can get more answers from our brothers and sisters in other lands. Maybe I should start doing polls on this blog too.



Author: Mr. Long Drag

Former smoker turned vaper since 2013. I blog about questions that I and others might have about vaping. All I can say is it's a better alternative to cigarettes, nicotine gum, patches or medication, no matter what the Big Tobacco backed media says!

2 thoughts on “Reddit Vape Survey Results: 84% Of Vapers Are Former Smokers”


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s