It is a bit difficult to try and imagine the future state of the vaping community after the FDA regulations have been laid down and enforced.
And while most of us hope for the best, one can not help but think that there is a good possibility these upcoming regulations may change the way we vape for the worse.
Thinking about this got me to come up with 5 reasons why the vaping community is better without these regulations and why the current anarchic form of vaping is actually beneficial for all.
1. To Invest In the Improvement of Vaping Technology – Probably the main reason why these regulations are being rushed is so that the government can finally monetize on this $4 billion dollar international market.
And for what? Supporters will say these added taxes will be used to support government projects and medical research.
Sounds like it’s for a good cause; but why should we, the vaping community, give our money and support to an entity that has been against us since day one?
Tell me one instance where the government supported vaping as a healthier alternative to cigarettes.
So why should pay taxes to something that would rather see our demise?
These independent vaping businesses re-invest their profits into improving their products, this is why we get new vape products almost every month! Each one being better than the last.
But what if a portion of this money will have to be spent on paying taxes? Will that mean the vaping manufacturers will have to cut back on re-investing their money back into their business?
2. Because it Doesn’t Make Sense Taxing a Product that Benefits the Majority – My belief is that the taxation of a product (by taxation, I mean anything aside from mandatory sales tax) is necessary when this tax as a “deterrent.”
My understanding is that the government taxes liquor, cigarettes, and gambling because it would rather not have the citizens engage in these type of activities frequently.
In this case, I perfectly understand and support this kind of taxation.
But why tax vaping? Does the government want people to stay away from vaping so they can stick to cigarettes? But we thought cigarettes were bad? It gives such a confusing and conflicting stance the government has on vaping.
3. Sub-Culture + Corporate = Death – Corporations care nothing about a culture it plans on monetizing.
We’ve seen it happen with Rock music, and more recently with Rap. These were youth driven genres that had sincere intentions in it’s grassroots. Their death came when it became mainstream and “cool.”
Bringing vaping to the mainstream opens us up to people who don’t care about our culture and are only focused on making a buck. Celebrities, wanna-be celebrities, politicians, etc.
Here’s a documentary I saw which made me kind of put things in perspective and compare how corporations search for an up and coming trend and think of ways to capitalize on it, at the culture’s expense:
4. To Prevent Big Tobacco’s “Resurrection” – Last I checked, Big Tobacco was on life support. Gone are the good old days when cigarettes were raking in huge profits.
One proposal from the upcoming regulations is the hefty tax placed on business owners to continue operation. This kills the small business owners, which are the majority.
This sets Big Tobacco to enter the market, since they can use that big bankroll they have to take care of taxes.
5. To Keep Improvements In Vaping Fast and Current – The Aspire Atlantis came out late last year. Less than 6 months later, Aspire has come out with the Atlantis version 2.
When a hot product comes out, manufacturers will try to outdo that product ASAP. These new regulations may slow down the release date of your next favorite product.
Under the proposed rules, these new products will have to go through inspection by authorities for clearance before being released to consumers. That means more paperwork, more people and processes involved. So there is a good possibility that you will have to wait YEARS for a new release.
I don’t want to cause any panic or paranoia, but if there’s one thing I would like people to take from this post is for vapers to become more aware about the war against vaping.
Visit CASAA.org for updates and to find out how you can do your part in protecting this thing we all love.